2017 Peace Essay Contest printable version
17 Jan 2017 filed by editor - International
The Chicago-based West Suburban Faith-Based Peace Coalition is sponsoring a Peace Essay Contest with a $1,000 award to the winner, $300 for the runner-up, and $100 for third place. Essays have to be directed to a person who can help promote knowledge of the Kellogg-Briand Pact (KBP) and, from whom a response is expected.
Essays will be judged not only on the quality of the essay but on the impact of the response. Everyone is eligible to participate; there are no restrictions regarding age or country of residence. Participants are required to take the following three steps:
1. To enter the contest send a Peace Essay
Request email to coordinator Frank Goetz at email@example.com. Provide your Name, Mailing Address, Email Address, Phone Number, and, if under 19, Age. Also, provide the Name and Position of the person or persons to whom the Essay will be directed. Your application acceptance as a contest participant will be acknowledged in an email containing your assigned 4-digit Essay Number.
2. In 800 words or less write your essay on: How Can We Obey the Law Against War? As soon as possible but at least by April 15, 2017 send the essay to the person named in your application and a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Essay Number in the Subject line.
3. By May 15, 2017 send Essay Response documentation to email@example.com with your Essay Number in the Subject line.
Some examples of impact:
- The President agrees to explain the limitations placed on the government by KBP.
- A member of Congress supports a resolution to make August 27 a Day of Reflection.
- The ACT or SAT administration agrees to include questions regarding KBP.
- A newspaper includes a KBP story.
- A school board revises its curriculum to expand KBP studies.
- A religious leader calls for nonviolent actions.
Winners will be announced at a festive event honoring the 89th Anniversary of the Kellogg-Briand Pact on August 27, 2017.
Name: Remember me E-mail: (optional) Smile: Captcha